Roaming the dollar store is like going on a treasure hunt.
…or so I’m told. 😉
I may not get a gleam in my eye the moment we step in the door, like my husband does, but I try my best to show at least a bit of excitement when he asks almost each Friday if we can make a stop at the local Dollar Tree.
Not wanting to disappoint, I cheerfully say, “Sure Baby,” and the adventure begins.
We walk hand-in-hand into the land-of-$1-deals, never knowing what we may find. Sometimes we choose just a basket, but sometimes we need a cart to collect our treasures. If you’ve never frequented your local dollar store, allow me to give you a guide to the items that are worth buying there. It will save you money in the long run! And don’t worry, they are open at times other than Friday night. 😀
First, you must peruse the front, where they keep their seasonal items and rather large collection of as-seen-on-TV products. You can usually find some really sweet deals right at the front of the store.
- For example, during times like Christmas, their gift bags, which come in a variety of sizes (including super large), patterns and colors, are a STEAL! The tissue paper is also a good buy, even though it’s not the best of quality, at 40 sheets for $1, it’s still worth it. I’d skip the wrapping paper, however. After Christmas you can find good quality, big rolls of paper for cheap prices at places like Target.
- All the as-seen-on-TV items are also a $1, so be sure to try some out just for kicks.
Here’s a list of other items we only buy at the dollar store:
- UPDATE: Shower caps – how could I forget about my beloved caps?! Get 8 sexy caps for just $1!
- Tea Lights – 16 for $1. That’s less than 7 cents a piece!
- Hand-held lighter for said candles – Can’t be a $1 for these!
- Kitchen sponges – Get the Scotch Brite ones; they’re the best.
- Dryer Sheets – Never buy ones at the regular store again!
- Cleaning products – Either make your own or buy them for $1 a piece. Why spend more?
A list of products we sometimes buy at the Dollar Store:
- Cards – They now have a good selection of cards either 2 for $1 or $1 a piece. They don’t have great ones for every occasion, but they certainly have a good assortment.
- Gum – Unless there’s a good sale elsewhere, which happens pretty often.
- Tin foil – It’s kind of thin but good for grilling
- Random items we find throughout the store
I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things, or maybe I’m not, but as you can see, there’s plenty of treasures to find at your local dollar store. 🙂